Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Defence in Depth: Sharp Practice v2 AWI

Defence in Depth: Sharp Practice v2 AWI



As Sharp Practice is still the "shiny new ruleset" in the Cook house we decided to break it out again this week.  This match will pit my Hessian force against a Rebel force from around 1776.



We set up a pretty standard board; some fences, fields, woods, a stream, road and two hills.  Kati rolled defender and decided to defend the side of the table(long ways) with the hills.  The scenario basically gives the defender two 12 inch bands to place deployment points in, to represent a two line defence.  the attacker gets two deployment points on the other end of the table.  
Objective is simple, the attacker needs to capture the rear deployment point.


Kati's rebel force including a glass of wine for the commander consisted of:
Leader 1 status II
2 groups of State line
Leader 2 Stat II
2 groups of Militia(ten men each)
Leader 3 stat II
1 group militia skirmishers
Leader 4 stat II
1 group militia skirmishers
Leader 5 Stat II
1 group continental line
and Leader 6 stat I
Light artillery 

A lot of guys 


Opposing them was my Hessian force of:
Leader 1 stat III(musician) 
3 groups of Hessian regulars
Leader 2 stat II
2 groups of Hessian Grenadiers
Leader 3 stat I 
1 group Jaegers(marksman)
Leader 4 stat I
1 group Jaegers

now to the game

Turn 1


The first  turn saw 2 rebel command cards drawn followed by my leader 3 with his Jaegers on my right behind a wood near the northern hill.


This was followed by the Rebels leader 3 who deployed at the rear deployment zone and then the tiffin card ended the turn

Turn 2


Turn 2 saw my second group of Jaegers deploy which for me looked awesome.  My Jaegers out ahead of the column scouting the ground.



And that was followed by both of my line infantry formations entering the table.



 Kati does get to deploy her leader 1 before the tiffin is drawn.


We both use command cards to move up our leader 3s and move on to the next turn.  This puts all the Hessians on the table.

Turn 3



 Turn 3 can be summed up pretty quick.  My Leader 3 and his Jaegers move up and fire missing all but one shot, they needed 2s (dice roll in picture) and Kati deploys some skirmishers on the other hill.

Turn 4


Turn 4 starts with my second group of Jaegers trying their luck at peppering the Stat line troops scoring 2 kills and a shock. Just as an FYI we use the cotton puffs to show the unit is unloaded.



 Kati deploys more troops, including the cannon and answers my peppering with a volley from the State line formation that kills a Jaeger and puts 4 shock on the group. Now my Jagers use 2 command cards to reload out of turn and when leader 3s card is drawn they fire back putting 2 kills and some shock on them.



Then leader 1 orders his men ahead 11 inches. Tiffin.

Turn 5


Turn 5 is a short one.  one command card is drawn for each of us, my grenadiers cross a fence and the tiffin card is revealed.  Kati then uses her Command card to have her State Line formation throw another volley into my Jaegers forcing them to withdraw.  I use my card to reload the other group of Jaegers.

Turn 6


Turn 6 sees my grenadiers go into column formation and 2 rebels units move forward. Then the State Line get one last volley into my Jagers before they move behind the wood to lick their wounds.


My Jaegers fire another inconsequential volley as the turn ends...but Kati has a command card.


The cannon fires at my Jaegers on the fence (hidden behind their smoke) surprisingly this only results in 2 shock.

Turn 7



Turn 7 is another turn with not a lot of action and a lot of moving (not a bad thing, it's what makes the game interesting).  My leader one takes fire as it nears the fence getting 4 shock from a great long range volley from rebel skirmishers. 



The turn ends with my plan starting to become obvious.  my men are all pushing south only problem is can my Jaeger continue to keep the rebel left in check?

Turn 8



Trun 8 sees me using a couple of command cards to make my leader 1 status 5 to remove shock and get over the fence.  While that is happening, my leader 4 and his Jaegers take the a volley that will basically put them out of the game.  My only plus at this point is that Kati loaded canister into her Cannon and I am still out of range.


If you have being keeping tabs on leaders you have have noted that rebel leader 2 has only moved once this whole game, poor guy just never got the luck of the draw.  But he finally formed up into column and prepared to move to a position behind the hill as a last line of defence.



The 2 groups of skirmishers lay down fire as my hessians trudge across the field.

Turn 9


Turn 9 starts with my grenadiers practically running down the road with a 13 inch move. 


Which is followed by every gun available pointing at my boys in the field.  11 shock shuts you down fast!



But the Hessians answered in kind with a controlled volley up the hill before the turn ends.

Turn 10 and 11


Turn 10 and 11 see my attack grind to a halt.  My hessians in the field build up 15 shock thanks in part to a canister shot, and I know that there is no saving them.  While I still have my grenadiers, night is fast approaching (10pm is my bedtime) and I have to call off the attack.  Leaving Kati and the rebels with the field in withdrawal.

This was a fun game that taught us a few things. First I think a second leader should accompany any formation larger than 2 groups just to control shock accumulation. Skirmishers are best keep as far away as possible as one good close range volley will put them out of serve. I also find is strange that Hessians to not get the Sharp practice characteristic. I actually used it then had to back track and unto loading my guys. The Hessians were pretty famous for their fire drill so this surprises me.







1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I think you should allow Hessian's to use Sharp Practice as a characteristic. Your assessment makes sense to me but there might be a rationale behind this from the army list designer.

    ReplyDelete